Tuesday, June 1, 2010

5 grain pancake mix

This recipe is from the cookbook that came with my new Bosch.  I can't decide if I'd recommend the cookbook or not.  It uses a lot of dough enhancer and vital wheat gluten in it's breads.  The wheat gluten I can get easily, but not the dough enhancer.  Plus this is the first recipe I've tried.  There are also a lot of whole grain recipes. Even though I like cooking with whole grains, and I have found some wonderful recipes using them, I'm always a little leery to try multi-grain recipes.  I'm afraid that they just won't be as tasty as I want them to be.  This particular recipe I could tell made a ton, and I didn't want to be stuck with a ton of pancake mix noone would like.  However, I don't think I'll end up with that problem.  Benjamin and I are the only ones who actually ate these this morning, but they were good.  I really liked the texture.  They were light and airy - the batter was a little spongy looking.  I even had to spread them so the pancakes would not be too tall.  They also crisped up nicely - more like a waffle to me.  I ate mine plain - no syrup and they were really good.  I only made 1/3 of the recipe in the book.  This is what I did.


Mix ingredients

  • 2 cups wheat berries
  • 1/3 cup barley
  • 1/3 cup rye
  • 1/3 cup oat groats
  • 1/3 cup brown rice
  • 1 1/3 cup powdered milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup baking powder
Mix grains together.  Grind into flour.  Add remaining ingredients and mix.  Store in freezer until needed.  This made a good deal.  I stored it in a gallon sized ziptop bag and it was a little over 1/2 full after taking out 1 cup for today.

To make pancakes
  • 1 cup pancake mix
  • 1 egg (I used 1/4 cup egg substitute today)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup splenda
  • 2 Tablespoons oil
Mix well and make into pancakes.  I only managed to make 5, but 3 of them were quite large because after sitting, the batter was so spongy it seemed hard not to make them big.  I would probably triple this if making it for my whole family.

Update 11/15/2010 - made these again - used 2 cups mix, 2 Tablespoons oil, 2 Tablespoons applesauce and added a teaspoon of vanilla.  They were good that way too.  I sprinkled cinnamon in the second half of the batch, but I think I preferred them without the cinnamon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails