Tuesday, December 28, 2010

pasta e fagioli

This recipe is from an everyday food magazine I picked up this month to try something different.  We did some rearranging on this which is probably why it didn't get posted.  DH did a bunch of the cooking this past week as I was busy with candy making, or sewing, or whatever other Holiday thing I was up to.  So I'm not exactly sure what he did to alter.  I have asked and this is what I got.  We upped the recipe some and added some Italian diced tomatoes rather than regular to add some flavor.  I would have preferred a little more flavor - be it more oregano, or more pepper.  That being said, it was fine as it was.  I did eat the left overs, which is alway a judge of how much I liked it.  I just wished it had a bit more flavor - other than plain tomato.  I felt like that was the largest flavor.

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 4 stalks celery
  • 3-4 carrots, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 14.5 oz. can Italian diced tomatoes (use 3 of these next time.)
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cups ditalini pasta
  • 2 15.5 oz cans great northern beans rinsed and drained
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
  1. In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Add celery, carrots, onion and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper.  Saute until veggies are soft (8-10 minutes)  Add oregano, tomatoes and broth.  Increase heat to high and simmer rapidly until liquid thickens slightly, 5 minutes.  Add past and cook, partially covered until tender.  (10-15 minutes.)  Add beans and cook until warmed through, (about 3 minutes.)
  2. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails