Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tex-mex chicken

So, this week, I went back to my favorite Sandi Richard's book and decided to try some of the few meals in there that I haven't tried.  While this was not one of my favorites I was reminded how much I really like that book.  Definitely one of my favorites.  I love the way it is written to be time saving (although I'd rearrange this recipe a bit.)  I also love how each recipe is for a complete meal including lots of veggies.  So nice.
So, this is getting a  post because it has various things that I changed in the first place, and other things that I would change for next time.  All of the kids thought the chicken was too spicy, and I had cut the chipotle seasoning in half.  While I liked the sauce that went with the chicken, I thought it could use a bit of a kick.  So, next time I'd put the chipotle in the sauce, and not on the chicken.  The chicken was perfect - perfectly tender and juicy - too often I end up with overcooked, dry chicken.
OK, my final opinion on this recipe - the corn muffins were just ok, but they are hard as rocks today.  I wouldn't make them again with this recipe.  This recipe made a lot of sauce with the chicken that seemed like it needed a rice or noodle to soak it up.  I'd use rice because it seems like it would go better with the dish.   I guess if I did that it would eliminate the fact that she had you make the muffins first - that made the dish take longer for me because I was slow at mixing the muffins.  It ended up making the dish take longer than the hour it said it would, which wasn't good for me yesterday.
So here is how to make the chicken.  I would try it again with modifications.  This smaller pic it what it looked like in the pan.  Not amazing, but I post it to show just how saucy it was.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion
  • 1 can (15 oz ?) creamed corn
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
  • dash Italian seasoning (she said she uses Hunts Italian tomato sauce, and called it pasta sauce in the directions, so I sprinkled Italian seasoning on my tomato sauce.)
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 cup light cheddar cheese or cheese of choice - monterey jack or a mexican blend would be good
Directions
  1. Cut chicken breast in half and place chicken in a 9 X 13 pan.  Sprinkle with spices (next time I'd only sprinkle on the oregano - and onion - maybe even double the oregano.)  
  2. Layer creamed corn, corn, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and salsa over the chicken.  (Next time I'd probably mix the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning -or possibly just oregano and basil, chipotle seasoning and salsa in a bowl and pour that over the 2 corn layers.)  Top with cheese.
  3. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (uncovered)
Serving suggestions
  • Serve over white or brown rice
  • Serve with a side salad - we had spinach, mandarin oranges and feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails