Wednesday, December 8, 2010

pie crust

I got this recipe at food storage.net.  She has great videos explaining exactly how to make it.  I think it is my favorite that I made so far.  Probably because of the added sugar.  I made some little cinnamon/sugar topped pie crust with my left overs and I didn't share because they were so tasty they were gone before anyone even knew I made them.  (Good thing my kids don't read my blog.  lol)  Anyway, probably the biggest tip from there was to keep everything nice and  cold.  She even refrigerated her bowl, utensils and shortening.  I must say it was a pretty tasty and great textured pie crust.  Thank you Del for a wonderful pie crust.

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine salt (I just used regular - it is what I have)
  • 3 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup shortening, cold
  • 12 Tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
  • 1/4-1/2 cup ice water
Directions


  1. Chill bowl, pastry cutter or whisk, and all ingredients in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  Sift together dry ingredients.  Cut shortening into dry ingredients to a corn meal consistency.  (I used my pastry cutter, but I think in the video she used her kitchenaid with whisk attachement.  I'd try that next time.)
  2. Slowly cut in butter until the consistency resembles small peas.  Add 3 Tablespoons ice water and mix together with hands.  If more water is needed, add it 1 Tablespoon at a time.  (I needed a couple more Tablespoons, but I think they weren't filling fully or something.  she makes hers on the video with only 3 I believe.)  
  3. Divide dough into 2, flatten into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap.  Chill dough in fridge for at least 30 minutes.  
  4. Remove dough and place on top of plastic wrap (or on one of those handy pie roller mats - but she likes the plastic wrap for putting the crust into the pan later.  I thought it was a bit more difficult because the plastic on the bottom always got wrinkled and I would have to flip it and smooth it - just adding another step - but putting it in the pie plate was easy.)  Place the plastic the dough was wrapped in on top of the dough - grease side down.  Roll out dough always going from the center out until desired size. 
  5. Place dough on pie pan and fit dough to sides (She leaves the plastic wrap on the top side for this and then isn't touching the dough with her fingers.)  Using a sharp knife, cut excess dough from around edges.  Using thumb, index, and middle finger, pinch dough edges to form a decorative edge.  (Mine for this particular pie had issues and I ended up just pressing the tines of a fork in the edge.  Not sure what my problem was.  My apple pie was great for Thanksgiving, but I couldn't seem to do a crimped shell this day.  So, on a bad day - grab a fork.)
  6. Fill pie with filling and bake according to directions on you pie recipe - or - prebake by placing aluminum foil on top of the pie crust and filling half way with dry, uncooked beans.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails