Tuesday, December 21, 2010

chicken log

I can not believe that I haven't blogged this.  I swear I have a memory of making this with some super dried out chicken in the past year.  I was so excited to use up the dried chicken.  But I can't find it anywhere, so here it is. This recipe is one from my mom.  It is so good, and really rather easy to make especially if you keep pre-cooked chicken in the freezer.  I just whipped up a batch for a Chirstmas party.  It is so tasty that I have decided I should do a snack dinner using it more often - Chicken log, crackers, baby carrots and celery sticks.  Yum.

Ingredients

  • 1 8 oz package of cream cheese softened (I used 1/3 less fat - no problem)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise (again I used light)
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 drops red hot pepper sauce (although I may have gotten a bit more today)
  • 2 cups finely cut-up cooked chicken (I actually used 1 container of my pre-cooked - defrosted it in the microwave 3 minutes and shredded it in the food processor.  It was 3 1/2 cups and fine. Or you can just boil some chicken and chop it.)
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (gave these a whirl in the food processor too.)(
  • 1 teaspoon dried onions
Directions
  1. Mix cream cheese, mayo, lemon juice, salt, ginger, pepper and pepper sauce and onions.  (I also ended up tossing this in the food processor to get it nice and smooth because my cream cheese wasn't quite softened enough to mix well.)  Sir in chicken and eggs.  
  2. Spoon mixture onto some plastic wrap and shape into a 8 X 2 inch log (or ball, or whatever shape you want.)  wrapping it in the plastic wrap as you go.
  3. Refrigerate until firm -about 4 hours.
  4. Decorate with chopped olives, peppers, sesame seeds or green onions.  Serve with crackers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails