Thursday, December 16, 2010

Country chicken with gravy

I found this recipe in my taste of home magazine.  It was quite yummy.  The only change I really made was to use more than 2 Tablespoons of milk to dip the chicken. (Ok, upon further inspection, I changed up the gravy a bit.  It called for condensed chicken broth - couldn't find it.  I also left the chives out just because I didn't buy any.  They would probably be a good addition.)   Next time I think I would probably dip the chicken in the spices and then the corn flakes because they didn't seem to evenly disperse.  However, it didn't seem to matter which piece anyone got.  Everyone really liked it.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes (I used about 2 cups uncrushed)
  • 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup or so fat free evaporated milk
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4-6 oz. each)
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
Gravy
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 Tablespoon flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup fat free evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock
Directions
  1. In a shallow bowl, combine first 6 ingredients.  Place milk in another shallow bowl or plate. 
  2. (I cut my chicken breasts in half - they are always bigger than the directions say, so I usually cut them to speed cooking and give me more portions.)  Dip chicken in milk, then roll in cornflakes.
  3. In a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170.  (Watch the heat - I had mine too high and burned the first side, then had to cover them to get them done in the middle without burning the second side.  Luckily they still managed to be good.)
  4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in flour, pepper and salt until smooth.  Gradually stir in the milk and stock.  Bring to a boil;  cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails