Monday, December 20, 2010

Apple wheat pancakes

I have been wanting to make up a pancake recipe lately using apples and applesauce, and I was checking out Jamie cooks it up when guess what I saw?  Exactly what I was looking for.  We had a few mishaps with these pancakes.  First of all, the first batch looked good, but I was smelling something strange, and smelled the applesauce and it smelled a bit fermented, so out went that batter.  So, we made a second batch with DH and myself dumping in ingredients and he decided to dump in 1 cup of sugar instead of the Tablespoon or 2 they called for.  They got out and I tried a bite and said, wow, these are really sweet - I think he must have confused the cup from the syrup that went with them.  Anyway, we has some seriously sweet pancakes.
We also had some difficulty with the sauce.  DH swears it is because I just tossed everything in the pan and didn't brown the butter, but we've made a similar syrup with buttermilk and I just tossed everything in and it was fine, but it called for a lot less liquid.  This was super runny, so we ended up adding double the sugar.  We also added some vanilla because I thought it would be tasty.
I also made multiple modifications on the pancake recipe, plus my modificaitons on the sauce.  Here is what we did today.  It was super tasty, but I won't make these again with that much sugar in the batter.  I'll probably click on the Jamie cooks it up link and try her syrup following directions next time, but I'm also making the note that my buttermilk recipe is 1/2 cup liquid.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 apple, finely diced
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar (we used 1 cup, but I wouldn't recommend it.)
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 1/4 cup wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
  1. Beat all ingredients except apples until smooth.  Stir in apples.  If batter is too thin add a bit more flour, if too thick, add more milk - I added more flour, but put that in the recipe.
  2. Heat skillet and spray with cooking spray.  Pour batter in 1/4 cup increments and cook until top stops bubbling.  Flip and cook until done.


Butter sauce
  • 1/2 can evaporated milk
  • 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
  • 2 cups sugar (I may have been a bit shy of 2 cups, but it was at least 1 and 7/8 - probably 2)
  • 1 Tablespoon corn syrup 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
  1. Mix ingredients in a saucepan and cook until boiling.  Boil until thickened.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails