Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fettuccine with quick ragu

I've been working on organizing, and hence neglecting the food blogging.  This is something I made a couple of days ago.  Luckily I didn't make any changes even though I debated it. (Ok, the original planned for left over sauce and used less noodles - my family is larger than 4 servings so I didn't plan for left overs, and I was out of onions and used some bulb onions which I sauteed in butter not olive oil.)  OK so I made a few slight changes, but I didn't change the spices or anything.  It turned out really well, and was pretty quick.  I also liked that it used a few more veggies than my regular pasta sauce.  The addition of milk was also something different.
The recipe is from a Food Network Magazine that I got last month to try something new.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 onion (I used 3 bulb onions diced)
  • 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces 
  • 1 small carrot, cut into 4 pieces (I used 5-6 baby carrots)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (I used the leaves of about 1/2 inch rosemary)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 pound ground veal or turkey (I used my pre-cooked ground beef for time's sake)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 28-oz. crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 16 oz. package fettuccine
  • grated parmesan for serving
Directions
  1. Pulse onion, celery, carrot, garlic and rosemary in a food processor until finely chopped
  2. Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium high heat.  Add the chopped veggies and cook, stirring until softened and golden.  (3-5 minutes)  Add the meat with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook until no longer pink (Or just toss in the pre-cooked and it is ready.)  Add the tomatoes, milk, 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. 
  4. Toss the noodles with the ragu and serve topped with Parmesan.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails