Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cranberry orange pancakes

This recipe is from my Simple and Delicious magazine.  I have wanted to try them for a while to use some of the cranberries I have had in the fridge since Christmas.  They can't possibly be good much longer.  I loved the flavor of these pancakes.  I do still need to tweek the ingredients a bit though.  These were really thick.  However, to give the original recipe credit, it did call for biscuit mix, and I had to make up my own.  It also called for an extra egg yolk which I left out because I was using extra large eggs.  I also increased the size of the batch to use the entire can of evaporated milk.  Honestly, I think the only thing I really need to do is add a bit more orange juice to thin the batter out.  (and possibly a bit of baking soda.)  OK, partly tweeked -still need to thin out pancake batter a bit, but still yummy.
I loved the syrup.  I won't lie, it was rather time consuming.  It didn't help the we had to squeeze oranges to make the juice, but it sure was good.  I was also lucky to have DH helping me in the kitchen that morning.  He tackled the syrup while I made the pancakes and we managed to get them ready before the big boys had to leave for school.

Syrup Ingredients

  • 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 2/3 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
Pancake Ingredients
  • 3 cups flour
  • 3 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1.5 Tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1 can (approximately 1.5 cups) evaporate milk (I used skim)
  • 1/4 orange juice (possibly more)
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange peel (peel of 1 orange -I had more the second time)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
Directions
  1. In a small saucepan, bring cranberries, orange juice, and sugar to a boil.  Reduce heat;  simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.  Cool slightly.  With a slotted spoon, remove 1/4 cup cranberries;  set aside.  
  2. In a blender, process cranberry mixture until smooth.  Transfer to a small bowl;  stir in maple syrup and reserved cranberries.  Keep warm.
  3. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt.)  In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. (eggs yolks, milk, orange peel and juice)
  4. Stir wet into dry just until blended.  Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, fold in egg whites and cranberries.  
  5. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle;  Turn when bubbles form on tip.  cook until second side is golden brown.  Serve with syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails