Tuesday, January 18, 2011

pastitsio

This is not the first pastitsio I have made.  This one was different because it had a white sauce.  I liked the flavor, but I found it a bit dry.  I would add another can of tomato sauce next time, and possibly mix the sauce with the noodles.  (maybe 1/2 and 1/2 - I had expected the sauce to kind of sink through the noodles and make the whole casserole saucy, but it really didn't.)  The flavor however was good.  
This is actually the original.  I can't remember exactly what I did.  I think I doubled everything but the meat, but I don't think I put in 6 Tablespoons of butter.  So, I'm just writing the recipe. That is what I get for getting so far behind in my posting.

Ingredients
  • 1 package (7 oz) elbow macaroni
  • 1 lb ground beef or lamb (I used my pre-cooked beef)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (I didn't double this either.)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 egg, beaten
Directions
  1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, pepper and cinnamon.  Heat through (I actually simmered mine while the noodles cooked)
  2. Drain macaroni; place half of macaroni in a greased 9 inch square baking pan. (Doubled I used a 10 X 15)  Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.  Layer with meat mixture and remaining macaroni.  Set aside.
  3. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth.  Gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil;  cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  4. Remove from heat.  Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg to temper.  Return egg mixture to the pan stirring constantly.  Bring to a gentle boil;  cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Stir in remaining cheese.  Pour sauce over macaroni.
  5. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown (mine never turned golden and I left it the extra time - wouldn't do that again due to it being a bit dry.)  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Next time I'd probably mix add an extra can of sauce (3 for a double batch)  then maybe mix the meat with 1/2 of the noodles and mix the white sauce with the other 1/2 of the noodles then top the whole mix with Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails