Friday, January 7, 2011

banana bread

So, for a long time I've wanted to try the buttermilk banana bread over at Mel's kitchen cafe.  Today I have many bananas, but decided to do my own thing today using buttermilk, but combining a lot of my favorite banana bread recipes. Here's what I did.
The results were OK - I think I should have left them in the oven a little bit longer.  Everyone gobbled it down though.  The 4th baby loaf was the best - least doughy, very tasty.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup splenda
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs (I used extra large today)
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions
  1. Beat together brown sugar, splenda, applesauce, bananas, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.  Add remaining ingredients (I measured 1 cup flour, poured some out of the cup and into the wet ingredients, added my baking powder, soda, and salt to the measuring cup still 2/3 full of flour, stirred it up, then added it to the batter with the other cup of flour.  The cinnamon was an afterthought I folded in.)  Mix just until combined. 
  2. Pour into well greased loaf pan.  (today I used 4 small loaf pans that I just bought for making cute gifty sized items.)  Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean.  For my small pans it was 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails