Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tilapia with green beans amandine

This was some of the best fish I have ever made.  Loved this recipe.  I loved the panko coating - while it didn't have a ton of flavor, it was nice and crisp.  The fish was also nice and tender.  We didn't manage to get the green beans cooked quite long enough.  They had a fine flavor, but were super crisp.  Not the recipes fault though.  :)
The recipe comes from my simple and delicious magazine.  I did add to the ingredients a bit here and there to make 5-6 servings rather than the original 4.

Ingredients

  • 5 tilapia fillets
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg (I used an extra large - you may need 2 for this amount if using just large)
  • 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teasppon dried thyme
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth (we used stock)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3/4 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Directions
  1. Sprinkle fillets with salt.  (I forgot to sprinkle the first fillet.  I added my salt to my egg after that.)  In a shallow bowl or plate, whisk the egg.  In another shallow bowl or plat, combine the bread crumbs, parsley and thyme.  Dip fillets in egg, then coat with crumb mixture.  (I found that I had to press them into the crumbs to get them to stick well.)
  2. In a large skillet, cook fillets in butter and 1 Tablespoon oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork. (I had my heat a bit high at the beginning and ended up covering these to help them cook through without burning on the second side when my oil was pretty much out.)  Remove and keep warm.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, garlic and lemon juice until blended; set aside.
  4. In another skillet, saute beans in oil until crisp-tender.  Stir cornstarch mixture and pour over beans.  Bring to a boil;  cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Sprinkle with almonds.  (we actually added our almonds to our beans when sauteeing so that they would get toasted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails