Sunday, January 16, 2011

bbq smothered chops

This recipe is from Good Housekeeping magazine.  I lightened it a good deal (didn't cook my veggies in pork fat, used a leaner chop.) and made it easier and quicker to make (used season salt rather than a mix of salt/pepper and paprika, and had 2 pans going at 1 time.)  It turned out great other than the meat was dry.  I loved the BBQ/sauteed onions on top.  I did think it could have used a bit more flavor in the rice.  Next time I would probably use stock rather than water in the rice.  I'd also only brown the meat for a minute or 2 - not 5-6.  I think that would help with the dryness of the meat.

Ingredients

  • seasoned salt (I didn't measure, just sprinkled it on top of my chops)
  • 6 pork loin chops, trimmed of fat.  
  • 1 large sweet onion (8-10 oz.) thinly sliced
  • 1.5 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 cups water (would change to stock next time.)
  • 3 carrots, thinly sliced at an angle
  • 8-10 oz. green beans, trimmed and cut in half
  • 1 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
  • 2 lemons, ends trimmed, very thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I didn't measure, just squeezed a nice amount on top.)
Directions

  1. Spray a large frying pan with cooking oil.  Sprinkle chops with seasoned salt.  Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, just until browned.  Transfer to plate.  
  2. Meanwhile, in another skillet, saute onions in butter until browned, set aside.  (I actually cooked my meat in 1 pan and the onions and veggies in another, but it took a bit longer to cook my veggies and onions that I expected and my meat got overdone.  The onions seem to take the longest, so I suggest giving them their own pan (If going for speed.)  If in no hurry, just use one pan, and do the onions right after the pork.  
  3. In same skillet as the pork (while onions continue sauteeing.)   add carrots, beans, a dab of butter or oil if desired and 1-2 Tablespoons water if desired. Cook 2 -3 minutes, stirring.   (You can just sautee these in cooking spray, but I wanted a bit of extra flavor. -original recipe had you saute them in 1/2 of the fat left from frying the pork chops.  Honestly I didn't even have any fat, but I used lean loin chops, not bone in like the original recipe as well.)  
  4. Add rice and water (or stock)  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat.
  5. Arrange pork chops over rice.  Arange lemon slices in a single layer over whle mixture.  Spoon onions over chops and lemons.  Squeeze BBQ sauce over the onions.
  6. Cover and simmer for 20-27 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (It took mine closer to 27 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails