Monday, January 17, 2011

pre-melted chocolate/ brownies

So I wanted some brownies last night and I was going to use a box and use black beans instead of the oil, but instead I saw a box of "pre-melted" unsweetened chocolate that I had bought over Christmas break thinking I might use it.  I changed my mind because the things I was baking were truffles and I was afraid the change in texture of the chocolate would cause the truffles not to harden appropriately.  Anyway, I ended up with this box of chocolate in my cupboard and saw it when I was looking around thinking of brownies so I pulled it out and it had a brownie recipe on the back so I tried it.
Unfortunately it wasn't my favorite and I wouldn't recommend it unless you want a cakey brownie.  I'm also not a big fan of the pre-melted chocolate.  Sorry Nestles.  It comes in a pouch which you have to knead with your hand and then roll out.  I'd just as soon melt the cube in my microwave.  Probably just as simple and possibly faster as I just have to toss the cube in my microwave and stir after a minute.  This I had to knead until soft and then try to roll out of the pouch.  It was rather messy.
As for the brownie recipe on the back of the box - I followed it other than subbing out 1 cup splenda for sugar.  I really don't think that should have had any effect on the cakey factor.  I still used the full stick of butter, and the eggs, and 2/3 cup of actual sugar.  So, not sure why they were so cakey.  They also seemed done when I tested them at the minimum time, but when I cut into them they were doughy.  I do have to say that the brownies tasted good. It just didn't have the brownie texture I was looking for.  I would have preferred the box.  Still gets a 3 star because it is chocolate and taste good.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 4 packets unsweetened chocolate flavor
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons water 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • toffee bits (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9 X 13 pan.
  2. combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.  Stir sugar, butter, choco bake, eggs, water and vanilla vigorously in a large bowl.  Stir in flour mixture.  Spread into prepared baking pan.
  3. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly sticky.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack.  Cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails