Sunday, January 16, 2011

brown rice pilaf

Yet another recipe from my simple and delicious magazine.  Can you tell that is the one I'm flipping through right now adding all that I missed in the past couple of weeks?
I liked this pilaf other than the fact that my brown rice was a bit old, and tasted it.   It kind of ruined the dish.  Would have been nice had the rice been fresher.  It was probably 2 -2.5 star like we had it, but would be 4 star with fresh rice.   I know to use up regular brown rice quickly, but I apparently don't use the instant stuff very regularly at all.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion
  • 2 teaspoon butter
  • 1 1/3 cup instant brown rice
  • 1/3 cup walnuts
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Directions
  1. In a small saucepan, saute green onions in butter until tender.  Add rice and walnuts;  cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until walnuts are toasted.  Add the water, apricots, salt and pepper.  
  2. Bring to boil.  Reduce heat;  cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails