Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pulled pork barbecue

My sister Karley typed up and  gave me a bunch of her favorite recipes for my birthday (love this of course.)  She suggested that we try this one first, so I did.  It wasn't my favorite because I'm not a huge mustard fan, but I'm pretty sure DH and the boys liked it a lot, so it gets a 4 star.    I did not eat at home last night, but I tried the food.  I did have it for lunch today, and without adding extra bbq sauce, it was good.  I did edit it a bit to make it a bit more healthy - I used pork loin rather than shoulder or butt (partly because it is what I had, and could find, but it is also leaner.)  I also didn't add all of the drippings from the pork, just part of them.  Being summer time, I also didn't want my oven on all day so I put this in the crock pot.


Dry Rub Ingredients

  • 3 Tablespoons paprika
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons coarse sea salt (I didn't have this.  I used 1 Tablespoon regular table salt)
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1 (5-7 lb) pork roast, preferably shoulder or Boston butt (I used pork loin, trimmed of fat.)
cider-vinegar Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne (I used only 1/2 tsp)
  • 1 cup yellow or brown mustard
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt (I used regular)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Pan drippings from pork (I used 1/3-1/2 of the drippings)
  • 12 hamburger buns
  • pickle spears
  • cole slaw (recipe below)
Directions
  1. Mix dry rub ingredients in a smal bowl.  Rub all over pork (I ended up with extra rub.)  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (had to skip this.  Didn't have time.)  Preheat oven to 300.  Put the pork in a roasting pan and roast for about 6z hours (until 170 or until it is falling apart.)  (I put mine in a crock pot on high for 6 hours on high)
  2. When pork is getting close to done, make barbecue sauce.  Combine vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, salt, cayenne, and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat.  Simmer gently, stirring for 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves.  (I think I did this way too long.  I let it get nice and thick, then I didn't have enough sauce for the pork.  It was fine because you could easily add more sauce since you only add 1/2 of the sauce, so maybe all was good.  :)  
  3. When pork is done, take it out of the oven (r crock pot and put it on a large platter.  Allow to rest for about 10 minutes.  While it is resting, deglaze the pan over medium heat with 3/4 cup water, scraping with a wooden spoon to pick up all of the browned bits. Reduce by about half.  Pour that into the saucepan with the bbq sauce and cook 5 minutes.   (I didn't have this because I used the crock pot.  I used my Turkey baster to take out some, but not all of the drippings, put it in a pan and reduced it by a little more than 1/2.  Then I added that to the sauce.)
  4. Shred the pork using 2 forks to pull it apart.  Put shredded pork in a bowl and pour half of the sauce over it.  Stir it all up well so that the pork is covered with the sauce.  
  5. To serve, spoon onto the bottom half of each hamburger bun.  Top with some slaw.  Serve with pickle and remaining sauce on the side.  (We didn't put slaw on the burger, just extra sauce.  We ate the slaw to the side, although, it probably would have been tasty on the burger.)
Cole Slaw ingredients
  • 1 head green cabbage, shredded (I used about 3/4 a small head)
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced (I used 1/3 of a large red onion)
  • 2 green onions, chopped (these somehow didn't make it home from the grocery store with me.  :(
  • 1 fresh red chile, sliced (my sister said she doesn't use it, so I didn't either.)
  • 1 1/2 cups mayo (I used 3/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (I used 1/8)
  • 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar (I used 1/2 Tablespoon)
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • pinch sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (I just sprinkled)
  • Several dashes hot sauce (I let people add their own)
  • salt and pepper
My sister says she usually halves this recipe.  I halved the sauce part, but not all of the veggies.  I added 1/2 of the cabbage, the carrots and onion, then added more cabbage until it looked good.  I also make my cole slaws in 1 bowl.  I mix all of the wet ingredients together - in this case mayo, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar.  Then I add all the veggies and mix.  I figure I don't want to get another bowl dirty just to mix the sauce.  I sprinkled the top with the celery seed and let those who wanted hot sauce add it themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails