Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cheddar cheese tortillas

I checked out a couple of new cookbooks from the library today.  This one was all about tortillas.  I had wanted to make some for breakfast today, but that would have required me to make a jam yesterday and I didn't want to take the time to.  We were supposed to have enchiladas today, but I didn't buy jalapenos for some reason, so we decided to make tacos.  I took the opportunity to try a tortilla out of the book.  Brandon helped me choose cheddar cheese.  They were nice and soft, and had a good flavor.  Plus they were simple enough.  I didn't have trouble with rolling them out or anything.  Worked great.  This is a picture of the tortilla made into a taco/burrito.  We used ground beef and black beans with taco mix, then added cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and taco sauce.  Great for a quick dinner.



Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups white flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter, softened (oops I used 1 tablespoon I think)
  • 1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (I ended up adding another tablespoon of water.)
Directions
  1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Cut in butter until the mix resembles coarse meal.  Add the cheese and stir.  
  2. Add the water and mix well.  Add more water if the dough won't collect into a ball.  If dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
  3. Divide dough into equal pieces - 8 pieces for 8" tortillas, 10 pieces for 7" tortillas, 16 for 5" tortillas...  I  made 8 and they were large.  Roll each piece in a circle and cover with a towel for 15 minutes.
  4. Preheat a heavy skillet over medium heat (I used my electric griddle and made 2 at a time.)
  5. To roll my tortillas, I just sprayed my counter with non-stick spray and rolled them out.  I could roll them as fast as they cooked (or faster) so it really didn't take a long time.  Cook for about 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails