Thursday, June 3, 2010

adobo chicken

This recipe has been on my menu for weeks now and for one reason or another I have never made it.  I finally made it today.  It was not one of my favorites.  The chicken somehow got dry, and the potatoes were too tangy for me.  I liked the flavor of the chicken though, and they all cooked in the same sauce.  It would be a good meal with a few alterations which is why I bother posting it.  I found it at taste and tell.  I did not change the ingredients at all - but I didn't add salt or pepper -salt because holy cow, you are cooking it in 1 cup of soy sauce if you don't have enough salt there is something wrong.  The pepper I just never added.  I also used butter to saute my onions, not oil - ok, I changed ingredients but only a little.  I did totally rewrite the directions though because they were very vague.  I was guessing what I was really supposed to do.

Ingredients

  • 5 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 2/3 to 1 cup water (I used 1 cup)
  • salt and pepper to taste (didn't use either)
  • lemon pepper, for sprinkling
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • rice, for serving

Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper.  Heat butter in a skillet and saute onions and garlic until softened. Add chicken (I actually left my chicken there for a minute to hopefully get some lemon pepper seasoning to stick, but I'm wondering if this is what made my chicken dry.  I'd probably do it again, but decrease the boiling time to 20 minutes.  Both the chicken and potatoes would be done by then and I don't think the potatoes would be so strong that way.) Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes.  (I'd only do 20 minutes next time.)

Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails