Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Turkey Tacos

We actually have had this one before and I know we like it.  I actually did not put the meal in the crock pot today because we left so early for berry picking.  Brandon did that for me.  I did finish it up though.  It cooked pretty fast, but luckily I checked on it early and turned the crock pot down to warm so it didn't overcook.  For some reason they seemed salty to me today.  I'm going to think it was the seasoning packet I used or something.  We've had these before and they were perfect.  They were still delicious, just a tiny bit on the salty side.
Like I said in my previous post, it was a very busy day, and much of it was cooking - after my morning run, I made the breakfast cookies, then we went and picked berries and peaches.  Being that I have 4 boys many of the peaches ended up mush by the time we got home from being pummeled or thrown, dropped, etc.  So, I really needed to take care of them today.  I got home and peeled the worst of them and put them in a container, but then taught a piano lesson.  I also had no bread and bananas that needed to make some banana bread on my counter, so after making lunch for everyone,  I spent the afternoon making banana bread, 2 loaves of bread and peach jam.  Then I taught 3 more piano lessons, shredded the meat and decided to make some baked plantains as a side for dinner.  Luckily, I made my regular wheat bread, have never posted a jam recipe because I just follow the recipe on the package of pectin, and I made the hungry girl banana bread that I made a couple of weeks ago so I only have 2 things to blog.  Whew!

Ingredients

  • 1 can (15 oz.) spicy chili beans in sauce, undrained (we use mild chili beans in sauce)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 1/2 lb turkey thighs, skin removed (we actually used boneless skinless chicken thighs, and used 1 3/4 lbs today)
  • 1 package taco seasoning mix
  • 1/2 cup thick and chunky salsa (picante works fine)
  • 1 package taco shells
  • 1 cup shredded lettuce
  • 1 large tomato, chopped (1 cup)
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
Directions
  1. Mix chili beans and onion in a slow cooker.  Top with turkey.  Sprinkle taco seasoning over turkey; spoon salsa over top.
  2. cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.  
  3. Remove turkey and shred.  Replace turkey and stir   (I actually removed about 1/2 cup of the liquid today because it had a ton.  I don't remember this being the case before.)
  4. Heat taco shells as directed on package (we didn't do this today, but have in the past and it is yummy.) Fill shells with meat mix, cheese lettuce and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails