Saturday, June 26, 2010

Taco Pizza with melon salad

All this week is food from Sandi Richards.  I have to write down dinner before breakfast because I will forget what I did to change it, and it was tasty.  To tonight was just a taco pizza - no big deal, and really nothing too specific on the recipe.  I did follow some of her instructions for seasoning the meat, but changed proportions.  I also changed up my toppings a bit because I had planned to use tomatoes from my garden, but I don't have any red ones right now, so I used red pepper and olives instead.  I got cilantro out, but forgot to use it.  I had also meant to top this with some sour cream, but I forgot that too.  Maybe with the left overs for lunch tomorrow.


Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef (I used my pre-cooked)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder 
  • 1 teaspoon onion flakes (I didn't add this because it is already in my pre-cooked)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup chunky salsa (I'd probably leave this out next time and add more taco sauce.  I just thought to add taco sauce after I had already added this.)
  • 1/3 cup water (this was a little much with the additional taco sauce, but I just simmered it a bit longer.)
  • 1/4 cup taco sauce
  • 2 green onions
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 small can sliced olives
  • 1 cup mozzarella (more or less, not like I measured for pizza.)
  • 1/2 cup sharp cheddar (more or less, I love to add this for extra color and flavor.)
  • 2 thin-crust pizza bases.  (I used Roman dough we had in the freezer from American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza)
  • 1 head green leaf lettuce (I used a spring/spinach bag mix, which I wasn't a fan of.  Should have gone with the head of lettuce.
  • 1/2 cantaloupe, cup into bite sized pieces
  • 1 ring red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup croutons (I didn't measure, just sprinkled a few)
  • Salad dressing of choice.
Directions
  1. Preheat onion as high as it will go (if using roman dough - or preheat to 350.)  If using precooked beef, defrost for 2 minutes in the microwave, put in frying pan, add spices, stir, add ketchup, salsa, water and taco sauce, stir.  Simmer until thickened.  (If not using precooked, fry hamburger with spices.)
  2. Meanwhile, chop green onion and red peppers (tomato would be good if you have it.)  Set aside.
  3. Roll dough out thin.  (if using homemade)  Spread 1/2 of meat (I actually used about 1/3 of the meat per pizza.)  Top with mozzerella cheese and a sprinkling of sharp cheddar.  
  4. Bake 5-7 minutes (for roman dough -10 minutes for other dough at lower oven temp.)  
  5. Chop canteloupe into bite size pieces.  Dice red onion.  Toss salad ingredients together.  (lettuce, canteloupe, croutons, and onions.)
  6. Serve with salsa, sour cream or any other topping you may enjoy.  (I totally forgot this.  I wanted to add sour cream.  Oops.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails