Sunday, June 6, 2010

barbecue burgers

This week I had the boys pick meals for the menu since they are home for the summer.  Duncan chose a recipe from an old Betty Crocker magazine for Dijon burgers.  I went to make them and felt nothing like Dijon burgers - I'm not a mustard fan in the first place, so I mad them Barbecue burgers.  I also didn't feel like chopping onions to put in the burgers because we got started late, I was making buns, wanted to make a dessert...
This is what I ended up doing.


Burger Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup fat-free egg product (maybe a tablespoon or 2 more- it was what was left in the carton)
  • 2 Tablespoons Barbecue Sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 slices of bread - toasted and turned to crumbs in the blender
  • 1.5 lbs extra lean ground beef
Extras
  • buns -I actually used my favorite whole wheat bread recipe - doubled it and made 1/2 into buns and 1/2 into a loaf of bread
  • tomatoes (fresh from the garden - yum)
  • lettuce
  • dill pickles
  • barbecue sauce
  • mayo
  • cheese slices (we used colby jack)
  • onion slices
Directions
  1. Heat coals (or gas grill, or oven to broil.)
  2. Mix all burger ingredients.  Shape into 6 patties.  
  3. Grill burgers (or broil 5 inches from heat for 10 minutes turning once)  Add cheese during last minute of cooking so it melts.
  4. Serve with desired toppings. We used what I listed in extras.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails