Sunday, June 27, 2010

Maple Baked Beans with Multigrain Bread and mixed salad greens

This recipe is from the Sandi Richards book I have checked out from the library.  I changed a few things.  I think I would change a few more thing next time - maybe leave out the mustard, or add powdered rather than dijon.  I also forgot to soak my beans overnight, so I did them from this morning.  The original recipe was made in the oven, and I made mine in the crock pot.  I also changed up the salad a little and made up a quick salad dressing for it that turned out really yummy.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups dry white navy beans
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons maple syrup (I have a butter light so I also added 1/4 - 1/2 tsp maple flavoring)
  • 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (recipe called for 1/2 tsp. crushed chili paste, but I didn't have that.)
  • 2 teaspoons vinegar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 bacon slices
Directions
  1. Rinse beans in a colander discarding any that are bad.  Place beans, onion and  5 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile combine brown sugar, maple syrup and flavoring, pepper, mustard, red pepper sauce, vinegar, molasses, ketchup and water in a crock pot.  Trim and discard most of the fat from the bacon.  
  3. Transfer beans and water to the crock pot and stir to combine.  Lay bacon on top.  Cook on high for 6 hours (I actually cooked this on low while we were at church (4 hours) then came home and turned it to high until dinner (4 more hours.)
  4. About 30 minutes before serving, remove 1 cup of the beans with sauce into a bowl.  Mash with a fork.  Redurn to the crock pot and stir.  Place beans in the oven uncovered for 20 minutes (at 350 - I went ahead an moved this because I already had the oven pre-heated for the bread, and it needed a little more rise time.) 
Here is the salad I made with this

Ingredients
  • 1 bag mixed greens
  • 5 strawberries
  • 12 raspberries
  • roasted pine nuts (had some left over from the other day.)
  • 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons strawberry jam (didn't measure, just scooped out a spoonfull
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 3 teaspoons water
  • poppy seeds
Directions
Mix jam, vinegar and water with a whisk in a small bowl (I actually mixed mine in a gravy boat to make it easy to pour.)  Sprinkle with poppy seeds and stir.  
Rinse berries.  Slice strawberries.  Place greens on individual plates.  Add 2 raspberries to each plate and some sliced strawberries.  Sprinkle with pine nuts.  Drizzle dressing on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails