Sunday, June 6, 2010

Twice baked potatoes

I saw these twice baked potatoes over at mels kitchen cafe and I thought they looked good.  I remember having twice baked potatoes a long time ago that were delicious and they had cream cheese in them, so I made my own up with cream cheese.


Ingredients

  • 4 medium  russet potatoes, scrubbed clean  (large would be nicer, but I had medium.  Adjust other ingredients accordingly if using large.)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
  • 3-4 green onions, white and green parts thinly chopped
  • 1/4 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
  • 2 oz. cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
  • 2 teaspoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I over filled this not on purpose.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  Pierce potatoes with a fork and microwave them for 8 minutes. (I have a cute little microwave potato cooker.  I put 2 potatoes in there for 4 minutes, flip them for 4 minutes more.)     Let them cool for about 5-10 minutes.  (Or you can cook them for 1 hour in the oven at 400)
Carefully cut each potato in half lengthwise, so you get two “boat” shapes from each potato.  Carefully scoop out potato leaving  a thin border (a little less than 1/4-inch) of potato innards around the skin so that it isn’t too fragile to hold the potato mixture. (Use a potholder if necessary)
Mash the potato flesh with a potato masher or fork until mostly smooth. Stir in the melted butter, 1/2 cup cheese, green onions, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Mix well.  (I just continued mashing with the potato masher - You need to with the cream cheese.)
Preheat the broiler and move an oven rack about 3-4 inches away from the broiler heat.
Place the potato mixture into the shells.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese (or more, I didn't actually measure, just made sure they were nice and covered with cheese.)  Broil until cheese melts.

1 comment:

  1. Made these again and used less green onion, a bit more milk, and 1/2 garlic blend, half pepper for the seasonings. Still delicious.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails