Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hungry Girl Banana Bread

I checked out 2 Hungry girl books from the library this week.  Trying to see if I want another one.  I have the newest one.  She is good because she makes healthy food.  I tried 2 from the first book I checked out and I wasn't super impressed, but this banana bread from this book was delicious.  Can't wait to try some more recipes.
This bread had a great, bready texture (lots of time my banana bread gets a bit mushy.  Not so with this bread, and it had no oil, and no sugar (just splenda.)  Plus a serving size was 1/8 of the loaf - breads never have that big of a serving size.  Yum.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup splenda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (took 4 for me today - they were smaller)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
  • 1/2 cup no-sugar added applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients)  in one bowl.  Combine the wet ingredients (remaining 4) in another bowl and mix well.  Stir the wet into the dry mixing just until combined.  Pour into a bread pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. (mine is a little larger (1 1/2 lb. size) so my loaf was a bit flatter.  A regular pan would result in a bit taller loaf.)   Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails