Tuesday, June 8, 2010

fiesta bites

These were a cute little appetizer recipe from Hungry Girl's book.  I was busy teaching piano lesson, so DH made them.  We doubled the recipe and left out taco seasoning, plus used our own chicken.  They were good, but I wish they could have been a bit more crispy.  Not sure how to solve the problem.  DH and I talked about cooking the crisps longer and the middle less, but then the cheese may or may not melt.  I also didn't like that there was some of the powdery flour on them still.  Not sure how to remedy that either - spritz them better with cooking spray, or wet them with water?  Something I want to experiment with because I really liked the idea of a won-ton bowl.  Although they are meant to be an appetizer, serve 4 and they are lunch.  That is what we did.




Ingredients

  • 24 small wonton wrappers
  • 1/4 cup taco sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons cream cheese (1/3 less fat)  (actually, I think I'd swap this with sour cream next time.  It would be way easier to mix and just as tasty.)
  • 10 -12 oz. chopped cooked chicken (we used our pre-grilled)
  • 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
  • 1 tomato, diced (although DH didn't use this today)
  • lettuce shreds (we didn't add these, but I wanted to - just didn't have any)
  • sour cream (as I type, I'm thinking this would have been great)
  • additional taco sauce
Directions (I will be modifying these eventually)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 2 - 12 cup muffin pans with non-stick spray.  Place a wonton wrapper into each muffin cup, pressing it into the bottom and sides.
  2. Lightly spray wrappers with non-stick spray.  Bake in oven for about 4 minutes until the corners begin to brown.  Remove from oven (but don't turn the oven off.)
  3. Mix taco sauce and cream cheese (or sour cream) in a bowl.  Add chicken and stir until coated.  Add beans, corn, and cheese, stir well.  
  4. Divide amounge wonton shells.  Return pan to oven and bake for 8 minutes or until chicken mixture is hot and cheese is melted.  
  5. Top with tomato, lettuce, sour cream, and taco sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails