Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mapled ham

I bought a boring ham to go with a corn dish I wanted to make the other day, so I went searching around how to spice it up a bit.  I found this recipe at allrecipes.com.  However, I didn't have cloves, or even pineapple rings at the time, so this is how I ended up improvising.  It turned out very tasty.


Ingredients

    • 1 (4 pound) boneless ham (I actually had bone in, but boneless would have been so much easier.)
    • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple 
    • 1 cup maple syrup
    • 1/4 cup brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 2 tablespoons butter 
    Directions
    1. Since I had a bone in ham, and being me, I cut a ton of fat off of my ham before cooking it.  I would suggest that if you have a very fatty ham.  You want some drippings, but not a ton. Preheat the oven to 350.
    2. In a 9 X 13 (or roasting dish) put the crushed pineapple and juice.
    3. Place the ham on top of the juice.
    4. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook to boiling.  Let boil for just a minute or 2.  Pour/brush 1/2 of the sauce on the ham.
    5. Place the ham in the oven and cook for 1.5 hours basting frequently with remaining sauce.  
    6. Remove the ham from heat, and drain pan drippings into a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until thickened, and serve with the ham.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails