Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Orange cherry tortillas/ french toasted tortillas

This is another recipe from Gourmet tortillas.  I didn't vary from the original.  I would change up the french toast part of it if making it again though.   I wanted them to be a touch sweeter because lately I like eating my pancakes, french toast, waffles etc. without syrup.  These needed the syrup.  I also would suggest not overcooking them.  I think I was a little afraid that I wasn't getting the insides cooked and that caused me to leave them on a little bit too long.  I think that the first batch that DH ate were better than the rest of the batches because I didn't overcook them.

Orange/cherry tortillas

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar (I used splenda)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 Tablespoon minced dried cherries
  • 3/4 cup water
Directions
  1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add orange zest and mix.  
  2. Cut in butter until crumbly.  Add cherries.
  3. Add water and mix well.  (add additional flour or water as necessary to make a soft dough that isn't too sticky.  
  4. Divide into 8-12 balls (12 for French Toasted tortillas)
  5. Let rest for 15 minutes.  Roll to desired size (8 inches for French toasted tortillas but I could only get mine about 6-7 inches big.)  For regular tortillas, cook on a hot pan or skillet, for French toasted, continue below.
French Toasted Tortillas
Ingredients
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons sour cream (I didn't have any so I used plain yogurt)
  • 3 Tablespoons milk
  • dash salt
  • dash cinnamon
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, beat eggs until fluffy.  Add sour cream, milk, salt and cinnamon (I'd also add about 1 Tablespoon of sugar/splenda, and maybe a touch of vanilla next time.)  Mix well.  I got out my immersion blender because I couldn't get my yogurt to mix in.  Maybe sour cream wouldn't have this problem?)
  2. Dip uncooked tortilla in egg mixture.  The author of the book then fried them in butter.  I just sprayed my skillet with no-stick spray and cooked them on it.    I followed the process of roll tortilla, dip, cook.  While one side cooks, you roll and dip the next one.  Then add that one to the skillet and flip the first one.... until done.  
  3. Serve with butter and syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails