Saturday, June 12, 2010

faux onion rings

This idea comes from a Hungry Girl book I checked out of the library.  It is super simple. She just coats them in ground up fiber one cereal.   I thought they turned out ok.  They were way better hot than cold, and by the time we were eating the, they were semi-cold, so the kids didn't care for them.  DH however was gone when we ate, and reheated his food.  He said they rocked.  I thought they were a little plain, but I forgot to add salt to the first batch I made.  I will have to fiddle with it a bit, but I like the idea of using such a healthy cereal as crumbs.  May as well pack some fiber into your meal.  I also think that with some added spices, it would be quite tasty.
She says on another page to try faux frying with different sauces as well for added flavor.  I think onion rings would be good with bbq sauce or even ranch dressing instead of egg substitute.  Again, something I want to play with.
Yet another -I had my camera in a strange mode this picture is awful day.  Aargh.

Ingredients

  • egg substitute
  • fiber one cereal (original) (I started with 1/2 cup but ended up using a second 1/2 cup)
  • salt
  • 1 large sweet onion
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Slice onion and separate into rings.
  3. Place the fiber one in a blender and grind until it looks like breadcrumbs.  Place in a bowl along with salt (or any other seasoning you may want to use - season salt would be good, or garlic/herb mix.)  Fill a small bowl (Just large enough to dip onion slices) with egg substitute.  (I added more later here as well.)
  4. Dip onion rings in egg substitute then fiber one.  (I found it made less mess (eggy, doughy crumbs) to spoon the crumbs over the onion rings, but it didn't make as thick of a layer of crumbs on the onions, but it was less messy.)  Place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping over 1/2 way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails