Monday, May 31, 2010

Marinated veggie/beef kabobs

This recipe is from my Taste of Home Magazine for this month.  It was Memorial day so I felt like barbecue, and these looked new and different.  Really I chose them because they had something besides bell peppers and onions on the kabobs.  They also had a the marinade for the veggies which was something I had not done before.  I thought the flavor was great, but they felt too oily for me.  I don't like my food to feel oily.
Since I wasn't really allowed to help much, these got taken off the kabobs before I could get a picture.  I had also bought 2 plantains which we grilled.  I would have sliced them into long slices and grilled them, but DH sliced them in skinny slices and skewered them like the rest of the food.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 1/2 pounds) cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 8 cherry tomatoes (DH cooked and didn't use these - we even have some in the garden :(
  • 1 large red onion (he didn't use this either.)
  • 1 medium green pepper (he used a yellow and a red)
  • 1 yellow summer squash (he used 2)
  • 1 medium zucchini (he used 2)  
Directions
  1.  In a small bowl, combine first eight ingredients.  Place half of the marinade in a large zip top bag.  Add the beef, seal bag and turn to coat.
  2. Pour remaining marinade into another large zip top bag.  Add tomatoes.  Cut remaining veggies into 1 inch pieces.  Add to bag.  Seal bag and turn to coat.  Refrigerate beef and veggies for at least 2 hours.
  3. Coat grill with cooking spray.  Heat grill.  Drain and discard marinade from beef.  Drain and keep marinade from veggie to use as baste.
  4. Thread meat and veggies on skewers.  Grill covered over medium heat for 10-15 minutes basting frequently with reserved marinade.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails