Thursday, March 29, 2012

Avocado salad dressing/ southwestern salad

I made a salad to go with the chili we had.  I wanted to stick with a southwestern theme so I decided to try the avocado dressing in the GSG book.  However, I ended up having no lemon juice and only 1 lime.  I subbed some orange juice.  The dressing was OK.  A bit too salty with the large amount of Liquid Aminos, but I thought it was good on the salad.  I just wouldn't use it as dip for veggies.  Too salty for my tastes.  I do have to say that I liked it enough to have some more salad for lunch today.  To make the salad I just tossed some lettuce (I had green leaf and romaine), 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted and some diced red, yellow, and orange bell peppers.  I tossed some black beans in the salad when I had it again today for lunch, and would probably add some tomatoes if I had any.  Shedded cheddar or monterey jack cheese would also be tasty.  I actually made some croutons for the salad by brushing some bread with olive oil and sprinkling with oregano and basil, dicing and  then broiling for 2-3 minutes.   Yum.

To explain why this has a 3 star and a 4 star - the dressing alone + 3 star - maybe less.  The salad together 4 star.

Ingredients

  • 2 avocados
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice (or if your me, juice of 1 lime plus juice of an orange - to equal 1/2 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons Nama Shoyu or Bragg Liquid Aminos (I'll probably reduce this to 1 next time I make this)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2-4 Tablespoons water (I used all 4 and it was still pretty thick.)
Blend all ingredients until smooth.
Toss with salad immediately before serving.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails