Monday, March 5, 2012

apple crisp

I had a lot of apples the other day so I decided to make an apple crisp.  I couldn't believe that I didn't have one blogged.  This is what I ended up making the other night.  It is a combination of 2 recipes.  The one with the least sugar (none) on the bottom, and the least sugar and butter on the top.  It turned out tasty.  Honestly I prefer my apple crisp topping to be a bit more crisp and clumpy than this was, but I don't think you can achieve that effect without more sugar/butter.  (although I did see a recipe today that used granola on top.  That might just solve the problem and work well.  Definitely something to try in the future.)

Ingredients

  • 6 cups sliced and peeled apples
  • 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (we actually didn't use these, but I put it in here because the original bottom had it and I'd like to try it.)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (we didn't use these either.  Not sure why, DH was baking, but I do like nuts in the mix so I put as an option for next time.)
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375.  Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.  
  2. In a large bowl, toss apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and cranberries if using.  Pour into the prepared baking dish.
  3. In another bowl, mix oats, brown sugar, and flour.  cut in butter until crumbly.  Stir in nuts.  Sprinkle on top of the apples.
  4. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails