Thursday, March 1, 2012

quinoa ice pop

Yes, you read that right, this ice pop has quinoa in it.  I ended up making this a bit different from the original recipe because I didn't have enough quinoa.  Then I forgot I was cutting the recipe in 1/2 and added the full amount of blueberries.  Then I decided to only add one type of sweetener (because it was easier and I was out of coconut sugar and can't find it in the grocery store anymore.)  Anyway, this is how I made these.  The puree was really thick and tasted mostly of banana that seemed a bit green to me.  This pop was not my favorite, but I'm not the hugest fan of quinoa either.  I really think it has more to do with a not fully ripe banana than anything though.  I would give this pop a second try, but would definitely keep the full cup of blueberries.  Possibly even add another banana.  (In other words, lower the amount of quinoa.) Aaron did have one of these for breakfast, and while he didn't eat a ton, he did eat about 1/4 of it which is actually pretty good for him for any popsicle.  He's not a great popsicle eater.
Since these had to cook, I did start these first, then made the yellow pop (previous post) then came back to these.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
  • 4-5 Tablespoons agave
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup milk
Directions
  1. In a small pot, combine quinoa and water.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until water is absorbed
  2. Put the quinoa in the blender along with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.  Scoop puree into molds.  Add sticks and freeze until solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails