Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Buttermilk rye bread

Brandon decided he wanted to make Ruben sandwiches for dinner and asked me to make rye bread, so I went to my King arthur flour book.  I had my choices of a quick bread, rolls, or a rye with raisin or something like that, so I went with the quick bread.  Sure was easy to prepare.  I hope it turns out good for sandwiches.  I don't think I've had a quickbread for sandwiches before.
I did leave out the caraway seeds because I personally am  not a fan, and I thought more kiddos would like it minus the caraway.  It also called for orange zest.  I didn't have any.  I did add lime zest.  Also, to be honest, I ran out of molasses and filled the rest of the cup with honey.  I had a little over 1/2 molasses, the rest honey.  Here is what I did.
I thought it was fine in the sandwich, but Brandon said it was too sweet.  I think that is was fine for a quickbread, but I never actually ate a piece plain.  Unfortunately it was Thanksgiving right after I made this and we had too much other bread that I never ate anymore before it molded.  :(   Picture is of the sandwich.  It looked lots better than just the loaf of bread.


Ingredients

  • 2 cups (7 1/2 oz.) rye flour (I ground mine fresh)
  • 1 cup (4.5 oz.) unbleached bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups (14 oz.) buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup (3 oz.) molasses
  • 1 egg
  • zest of 1 lime
  • 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan. 
  2. Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.  
  3. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, molasses, egg and lime zest. 
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir quickly and lightly until the batter is evenly moistened.  Stir in butter.
  5. Pour into prepared pan.  Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour -until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  
  6. Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, run a butter knife around the edges of the pan to make sure the bread isn't sticking, turn it out of the pan and finish cooling on the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails