Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cereal and cheese pudding

I must admit, the title doesn't sound too appetizing.  Not sure what possessed me to try this out of The Sneaky Chef to the rescue.  Probably the 3 little containers of cottage cheese needing to be used, and the fact that I'm always up for trying something new for breakfast.  I ended up making it today at lunch time because nothing sounded good, but then I didn't want to wait for it to cook, so I ate some left overs.  Then when it came out I got to thinking it sure sounded weird, and it was kind of jiggly  (imagine that - like a pudding)  maybe I didn't want to try it, so it sat on the counter for a while, then I went to put it away and decided to try it first - I felt like the green eggs and ham guy (probably because it is currently my 2 year old's favorite book - along with go dog go.  I've read both many times in the last few day.)  Anyway- Hey, I did like it after all that.  It was actually pretty sweet.  I think I'll serve it for dessert this evening.
I doubt the 2 year old will try it.  Wish he'd learn a lesson from the green eggs and ham book.  Guess I'll just keep reading it and hope something sinks in.  :)


Ingredients

  • 2 cups whole grain cereal flakes (I used Total, and actually added a bit more)
  • 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I love breakstone)
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 1/4 cup white bean puree (make by pureeing 1 can white beans like great northern beans - rinsed and drained - with 1 Tablespoon water until smooth. -1 can makes 1 cup)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375.  Spray a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.  
  2. Place cereal in a ziptop bag and crush to coarsely crushed flakes. 
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cottage cheese, eggs, white bean puree, salt, sugar, and vanilla.
  4. Sprinkle a scant 3/4 cup flakes on the bottom of the prepared pan.  Top with all of the cottage cheese mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining flakes (why I crushed more.  I wanted a bit bigger layer.) 
  5. Spray the top with cooking spray.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails