Monday, November 22, 2010

whole wheat sandwich bread

OK, trying yet another wheat bread recipe.  While I love the one I have used, I preferred it when I only made 1 loaf at a time.  It seems to be getting too gummy lately or something.  Probably just too much gluten, but I don't want to mess much with it.  This recipe is from my  King Arthur Flour book.  It has the potato flakes like my favorite recipe so far, and it has Orange juice which I suspect acts like the vinegar in my favorite recipe.  It also has powdered milk like my favorite recipe.  It has more butter which I wasn't doing cartwheels over.  I debated cutting it in half, but for the first try of the recipe I resisted the urge.    I did swap out white sugar for agave because I like the flavor in my bread, and I reduced the salt because my favorite bread only uses 1 teaspoon, so I didn't figure I needed more.  I also upped the yeast to 1 Tablespoon just because I'm a lazy measurer, and wouldn't mind my bread rising a tinge faster.  So here is what I did.


Ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice (I squeezed some fresh)
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 3 cups (12 o) whole wheat flour (mine was 13.6 oz, but I left it since I added liquid with the agave)
  • 3 Tablespoons agave
  • Heaping 1/2 cup dried potato flakes (1.25 oz.)
  • 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk (1 oz.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon yeast
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in mixer.  Knead with dough hook for 10 minutes.
  2. Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
  3. Grease a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.  Deflate dough and shape it into an 8 inch log.  Put in prepared pan.
  4. Let rise until crowned about 1 1/2 inches over the rim of the pan (1-2 hours)
  5. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes tenting with foil after 15 minutes.

Updated notes from 11/25 - I made this again and quadrupled  it yesterday.  I didn't have orange juice so I used 1/2 water and 1/2 cider vinegar.   Turned out great.  I did have to add a bit more liquid not sure if I added an extra cup of flour, or just needed the extra liquid because I also cut the butter in half.  I don't think I lost count of my cups, but at almost 10 I ran out of wheat and had to dig some out of the very back of my pantry (under my stairs)  Then I had to open the bucket and my bucket opening tool was nowhere to be found, so it is entirely possible that I was really on almost 11 cups not almost 10.  I'll have to make it again X 4 and see.  I added 1/4 cup more water.
Sooo, Ingredients looked like this today



  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar


  • 4 1/4 cup warm water (plus another 1/4 cup later when it was a bit too dry for my liking)


  • 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes (1 stick)


  • 12 cups whole wheat flour 


  • 12 Tablespoons agave (3/4 cup)


  • Heaping 2 cups dried potato flakes (1.25 oz.)


  • 1 cup nonfat dry milk (1 oz.)


  • 4 teaspoons salt


  • 4 Tablespoon yeast (actually I used 3 Tablespoons and 1 teaspoon I think because my bread rose a bit quick and then deflated a bit in the oven last time.  I still had a little bit of deflation on a couple of loaves this time, but not as bad as the last time.)



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails