Saturday, November 13, 2010

focaccia

Today I'm making hamburgers and the recipe calls for focaccia bread.  I have never tried making that type of bread, so of course I was up for the challenge.  I looked at a recipe from Tyler Florence and a couple on allrecipes.com and decided to mix a couple of the recipes I saw on allrecipes.
This turned out delicious.  Simple enough to make

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup warm water
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cup unbleached bread flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 Tablespoon  Oil, + more for the pan and top
  • Chopped fresh rosemary (I  used maybe 1 teaspoon or less - I just chopped until it was nicely covered)
  • Shredded Parmesan (I used a Tablespoon or 2 - I just sprinkled until it was nicely covered.
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients in a mixer with dough hook on until a smooth dough forms that no longer sticks to the side of the bowl when being mixed.  (I actually had to add about 1 Tablespoon of flour so it would not stick to the side of the bowl.  Do not add too much flour.  The dough was still a pretty sticky bread dough.)
  2. Lightly oil the bowl turning dough to coat.  Let rise until double about 45 minutes.  
  3. Lightly oil the bottom of a baking sheet (I used about 1/2 teaspoon.)  Turn dough onto baking sheet and spread to about 1/2 inch thickness (I made about a 10 inch square - more would have made it very thin, and I wanted it for a bun.)  Lightly oil the top of the bread - I drizzled another 1/2 teaspoon on top and spread it around with my fingers.  
  4. Use the end of a wooden spoon to dimple the top of the bread every 1 1/2 inches or so.  Sprinkle with rosemary and Parmesan.
  5. In a cold oven, place a broiler pan or other shallow dish on the bottom rack of the oven.  Boil some water (1 cup or so) and pour into the dish.  Place the bread on the center rack of the oven.  Close the door and let bread rise in the oven 20-25 minutes.  Turn oven on to 375 and bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned on top. (I took mine out at about 22-23, and should have left it the full 25.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails