Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chicken corn soup

This week at the library I checked out a fix it and forget it book because I'm looking for more crockpot recipes. I have looked at this book before but had forgotten that it was a compilation of many slow cooker recipes from different people.  Each recipe says who it is from.  I chose quite a few different ones to try.  This was the first one I tried.
Sadly I was unimpressed.  The ingredients all looked good, but maybe I got a really strong onion or something, but I felt like the overpowering flavor of the soup was onions. I also didn't like the texture.  The soup part of the soup was kind of grainy - kind of like the junk you get at the bottom of the pan when pan frying meat, but my chicken was boneless skinless chicken breast - chopped and de-fatted.  No reason to have anything funky in the soup.  I think it may have been from a combination of the cream style corn and the tomato sauce?  Tavio really seemed to like it - he even had seconds, and he doesn't like onions.  I found that surprising, but he does like soup.   We did not even save the left overs.  I post it because the idea was good, and the kids seemed to like it more than the parents, and it got plenty of veggies in the kids.  I'll leave my suggestions for next time throughout the recipe.  I just got a new thought - maybe I will have to challenge myself to makeover some of my recipes that I didn't like.  I invariably post some suggestions to make it better, but never have tried any of them.  Maybe I can make a once a month challenge??

This recipe says it is from Eleanor Larson of Glen Lyon, PA - I changed nothing, so I must give credit where it is due.

Ingredients

  • 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (I may have used 3- I think 1 lb 3 oz or something.)
  • 1 onion, chopped (I used 3/4 because mine was large and this was vague.  Probably only use 1/2 and saute it in butter first or just use 1 Tbs onion flakes next time.)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 1 teaspoon "mixed dried herbs"  I think I ended up going with 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning
  • 1/3 cup tomato sauce (I'd leave this out all together.  I wanted a bit more corn flavor.
  • 1 12 oz. can cream-style corn
  • 1 14 oz. can whole kernel corn
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except parsley, salt, and pepper in slow cooker.
  2. Cover.  Cook on Low 8-9 hous, or until chicken is tender.
  3. Add parsley and seasoning 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails