Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Potato crusted snapper

Yet again I'm getting behind in typing up my recipes.  I hate that, especially when I change things up, but life with 4 boys gets busy especially when there are halloween costumes to make, and parties to go to, messes to clean, like the 2 year old dumping red food coloring all over the stairs, normal mom stuff.  So, I'm starting with last night's dinner, then I will try to go backwards with all we have had in the last few days.
Last night we had potato-crusted snapper with orange maple vegetable ribbons.  Both are from my Simple and Delicious magazine.  I only slightly adapted each.  I will make a separate post for each, so here I'll talk about the snapper.  This was my first time trying snapper.  I only started eating fish more often a few months ago.  Now I'm trying to branch out and try different fish.  So last night was snapper.  The recipe turned out pretty well.  DH said it was perfectly cooked fish. Actually some were perfect and some were a bit overdone.  Mine was actually a bit overdone, and our fish loving son actually didn't like this, but I'm thinking his was a bit dry.  Our "like nothing" 2 year old LOVED this.    So, suggestion for next time - watch them carefully and remove as they are done.  Do not wait until the largest piece is done.  As far as flavor, I liked the potato crust.  Reminded me of french fries.  (Of course that combined with the fact that I had a drier piece made me want to dip it in ketchup.  Never would have thought I would want to dip fish in ketchup, but it was good that way.)  I didn't think you could even taste the thyme, and I added more than the original recipe called for.  Next time I'd decrease the amount of potato flakes because I didn't use them all anyway, and probably leave the thyme the same.


Serves 6

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes (I'd use only 1 cup next time unless I find a finer flake that sticks better to the fish.)
  • 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1 1/2 -2 lbs snapper cut into 6 fillets  (I had close to 2 lbs.)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup oil (I use a vegetable blend)
Directions
  1. Place eggs in a shallow bowl.  In another shallow bowl, combine potato flakes and thyme.  
  2. Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper.  Dip in eggs and coat with potato mixture.
  3. In a large skillet, cook fillets in oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails