Thursday, November 11, 2010

Beef and cabbage pitas

This is a recipe we tried a few years ago and I remembered it being good. It is from a Pillsbury magazine from September 2002.   Today it wasn't as good as I remembered, but I think I figured out why.  Usually I have pre-cooked beef which is what I use.  When I make pre-cooked beef, I fry it up with dehydrated onions, salt and pepper.  Today I was out of ground beef so I used some regular and then DH was helping me make dinner, and he didn't add salt or pepper, and he didn't add the onions called for in the recipe.  The meal was still good, but the beef tasted a bit dry and lacking in flavor.  I liked the flavor of the rest.  I made home made wheat pitas to go with this today.  They actually took a bit longer than normal to cook, but I didn't pre-heat my oven for long - just until it beeped that it was done.  Overall, still a good meal.  I only give it a 4 today, but if we had added the onions, and used the pre-cooked beef, it may have been 4.5-5.  :)


Ingredients

  • 2 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 lb lean ground beef (we used 1.3 or so.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 4 cups coleslaw blend
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon water
  • 6 pita (with pockets) -cut in half
Directions
  1. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.  Add ground beef and onion.  Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until beef is brown, stirring frequently.  Drain.
  2. Add coleslaw blend and salt; mix well.  Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until ground beef is thoroughly cooked and cabbage is tender, stirring frequently.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and water; blend well.
  4. Stir vinegar mixture into beef and cabbage mixture.  Cook until thoroughly heated.  Spoon mixture into pita bread halves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails