Sunday, November 14, 2010

bolillos

Well, yesterday I tried my hand at some focaccia bread, today it is bolillos.  I just used a bunch of store bought ones in breakfast this morning, and now Brandon wants some for lunch.  I'm actually staying home from church today since I haven't been able to get rid of this silly fever I've had for days.  So, I figure why not babysit some bread.  The recipe for this bread looks very similar to the focaccia I made yesterday.  This recipe I found on food.com. I just made the recipe easier to follow - not so many steps. I saw the same recipe at another site, but liked that this site had ratings to read.
These turned out well.  They tasted just like a bolillo from the store except the bottom crust was super crispy, but I liked that.  Yum.



Ingredients

  • 1 package (scant Tablespoon) instant yeast
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 Tablespoon lard or vegetable shortening, melted and cooled (I just barely melt mine so it isn't too hot to add 30 seconds in the microwave or so.  Today I actually spent a while looking for my dough hook, and it cooled too much and was solid again.)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/4 - 4 cups flour (I started with 3 1/4 cups and added a Tablespoon or 2)
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 teaspoon corn starch
Directions
  1. Place yeast, water, honey, flour (start with 3 1/4 cups) salt and shortening in mixer with dough hook attached.  Mix on low-medium low speed for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic - adding flour 1 Tablespoon at a time if dough it too sticky.
  2. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour.)
  3. Divide into 10 balls (mine were close to 3 oz. each.)  Roll each ball into an oval about 5 inches long - tapering at the end if desired.
  4. Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled. (recipe said 25 min - my house was pretty cool and it took more like 45.
  5. Meanwhile, (type up your recipe on your blog - just kidding, that is what I'm doing, but I'm headed to follow the rest of the steps right now.  :)  Preheat oven to 375.  Mix cornstarch and cold water in a small saucepan.  Heat until boiling.  Boil until thickened and clear (this is super quick.)
  6. Brush rolls with cornstarch mixture.  Slash rolls down the center 1/2 inch from each end and about 1/2 inch deep.
  7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and sounding hollow when tapped.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails