Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sneaky sliders

This week I kind of went a bit crazy at the library -ok, honestly it wasn't at the library that I went a bit crazy it was online a over the process of a week that I've been looking at books and requesting them.  There just happened to be 8 or 9 of them in this week.  (all cookbooks.)  So, I've been looking through a bunch of stuff.  This weekend I decided to choose a couple of recipes from The Sneaky Chef to the rescue.  Actually I also have The regular sneaky chef out, but I used this new one this weekend.  So if you haven't read these or used them, they use a lot of vegetable purees in regular recipes to "sneak" veggies into your kids.  I have tried the first sneaky chef a while ago, but it is a lot of work to puree veggies and "sneak" them into your kids.  Plus we just have a no thank you portion rule at our house that you get a small portion you have to try and you can say no thank you to having more, but not to trying a couple bites of something new.  However, my 2 year old is about the most stubborn guy that I know.  He won't keep anything I try to put in his mouth in his mouth, and he'd just as soon go hungry as try something new.  So, I actually worry about him getting enough to eat, and definitely enough nutrition.  So, I decided to try some new things.  Unfortunately this is the third recipe I've tried, and I don't think he has tried any of them.  I'm writing this one first because I hope not to forget what I did.  I added some spices.


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup green puree (see below)
  • 1 Tablespoon ketchup
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • dash Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 12 small soft dinner rolls (I used some 30 minute rolls -recipe to follow)
  • optional toppings - lettuce, onion, pickles, tomato, cheese, ketchup, mustard -- We topped ours with white cheddar, tomato and diced spinach today)
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, mix green puree, ketchup, wheat germ, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.  Then add the ground beef and mix until well combined.  
  2. Shape into 12 small patties.  Spray a large skilled with non stick cooking spray and heat.  Cook burgers for 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Add cheese if desired at the end.
  3. Serve on rolls
Green puree
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 cup frozen petite peas or sweet peas
Directions
  1. Place broccoli in a steamer.  Steam for 10 minutes adding peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
  2. Meanwhile, place spinach in food processor and process until finely chopped, scraping sides as necessary.  When broccoli and peas are done/tender, add to the spinach and process until smooth adding a tablespoon or 2 of water if necessary.  (I didn't find it necessary the broccoli and peas seemed to contain enough moisture from steaming.)  
  3. Use or freeze in 1/4 cup portions for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails