Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sour cream and Onion burgers

I found this recipe in an old Betty Crocker magazine (actually this one really wasn't all that old, just last year.)  The flavor was wonderful.  definite 5 star burger.  It was sooo good with the focaccia bread I made.  I loved the combination of the sour cream and onion of the burger with the Parmesan and rosemary of the bread.  YUM!
However, these burgers did have one drawback - their texture.  Being made with only sour cream and onion soup (no egg) I found them to fall apart very easily.  That may be because I used fat free sour cream, not sure if it would make a difference.  Seems to me that sour cream just isn't as good of a binder as an egg is.  Not sure how to fix the problem without changing the flavor.  Maybe cut the sour cream in the burger in 1/2, add an egg, and then add additional sour cream as topping.  Probably my best suggestion.  Even with the texture issue, they are a tasty burger, they were just a bit difficult to flip, and some fell apart.  If making them as written, I suggest giving yourself plenty of room between burgers to get in with a spatula and flip them very gently.  Any angled fanagaling will result in messed up patties.)


Ingredients

  • 2 lbs lean ground beef (we used sirloin this evening and had only 1.7 lbs.)
  • 1 package onion soup mix
  • 1 cup sour cream (I shorted this a bit because I was shy on the meat.
  • 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (also shorted this a bit to adjust for the meat.)
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 focaccia bread  (I cut mine in 9ths)
  • leaf lettuce
  • other toppings as desired we had out sour cream, mayo, ketchup, sweet or dill relish, and mustard.)
Directions
  1. Heat gas or charcoal grill.  (I was lazy and didn't feel like heating the grill so I just made them in a skillet on the stove.  They would be even better grilled.)  In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except bread and lettuce.  Shape into desired number of patties (I made 7 or 8 - but I vary the sizes of my patties by which kid is eating it.  :)
  2. Place patties on the grill over medium heat.  Cover grill;  cook 10-15 minutes turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center of the patties reads 160.  Serve with lettuce on focaccia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails