Saturday, November 13, 2010

Green rice Casserole

This is the side I chose to make with our Chinese pot roast - also from the fix it and forget it cookbook.  I am a bit interested to see how it turns out or if I will like it.  I'm actually worried I won't like so much parsley, but we will see.  It isn't even in the crockpot yet, the rice is in the rice cooker.

Well, we have now eaten this.  It was OK.  I wasn't a huge fan of the parsley.  The texture was very good though.  I did like the cheese flavor.  I think this would have been better with spinach.  Would have looked more green as well.  One other note - this cooked a lot faster than it said.  Was ready in more like 3 hours.  It was also starting to burn after 1 hour on high.)


Recipe from Ruth Hofstetter - Versailles, Missouri

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 cups evaporated milk -(The can measures 1 1/3 cups + 3 Tablespoons.  I used it all.)
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (while I'm typing I'm thinking I'll be leaving this out.  Plenty of fat from the cheese and milk -I did leave it out.)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 of a small onion, minced (I used a shallot)
  • 1 small carrot, minced (optional -original was only 1/2, but what was I to do with 1/2 a carrot.  I put the whole thing in.)
  • 2 cups minced fresh parsley or 10 oz. pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained.  I used the parsley.  I got Italian flat leaf and measured out 2 cups of leaves before chopping.
    2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheese (I used cheddar
  • 3 cups cooked long grain rice
Directions
  1. Beat together milk, oil, and eggs until well combined.
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients.  Mix well.  Pour into greased slow cooker.
  3. Cover.  Cook on High 1 hour.  Stir.  Reduce heat to low and cook 4-6 hours. (Only needed 2-3 hours.  We turned it off after 3 and it was a bit overdone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails