Sunday, November 7, 2010

Orange glazed carrots

Here is the side I made to go with the beef San Morco.  I really liked the flavor of it, but it took way longer to cook than it said it didn.  We ended up eating it with the carrots still a bit crunchy.  I think it would have been better if they would have gotten properly cooked.  I had 1 or 2 carrots that were cooked an they were much better.


Recipe from Cyndie Marrara of Port Matilda, PA

Ingredients

  • 32 oz. (2 lbs.)  baby carrots
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and water in slow cooker.
  2. Cover.  Cook on low 3-4 hours until carrots are tender crisp.  (I did 3.5 hours on low and they were very crispy.  I upped my crock pot to high for 30 minutes or so, and it was still crunchy, so I tossed them in the steamer for another 20 minutes or so, and they were still a bit crunchy, but it was way late for dinner so we ate them that way.)
  3. Put carrots in serving dish and keep warm, reserving cooking juices.  Put reserved juices in small saucepan.  Bring to boil.
  4. Mix cornstarch and water in small bowl until blended.  Add to juices.  Boil 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.  Pour over carrots and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails