Friday, November 19, 2010

simple spanish rice

I went looking for a red spanish rice recipe to use rather than some box mix and this is what I chose to try mostly because it was super easy, but also because it was well rated over at allrecipes.  It was surprisingly good.  I really expected it to taste a lot more like rice with salsa but something about adding the chicken broth makes it work and taste good.  I did c ut the oil in half and change it to butter because I really like onions sauteed in butter, but that is all I changed.  (sorry, not the best picture)

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 2-3 Tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup chunky salsa (I used a mix of Pace and store brand mild)
Directions
  1. Heat butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. (I actually used a saucepan.)  Stir in onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add rice and stir until coated with butter.  
  2. Stir in chicken broth and salsa.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails