Friday, November 12, 2010

Cod Espana

I'm liking the different recipes I found for different types of fish.  It is fun (for me anyway) to try different fish.  Cod was great - very mild.  But again I overcooked it.  One of these days I'll get better at this.  I need to be able to stick the thermometer in it I think.  I just get overly worried that it won't get cooked enough and will be slimy, and I hate slimy.
This particular recipe came from an old Pillsbury magazine - September of 2000 to be exact.
I liked it - I really liked the red pepper.  The garlic/citrus flavor was nice too.   It was just a bit dry, but that was totally my fault.  I also wasn't the biggest fan of the tomato.  Too squishy after being steamed.  Would have been nice added raw after cooking though.  I loved the way this looked in the pan so I took a picture of it.  Loved the green, red and white.



Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 lb. cod fillets (we had 1.3-1.5 lbs can't remember exactly -I cut it into 6 fillets)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt - didn't measure, just sprinkled
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic herb blend (original was garlic pepper but I didn't have that.)
  • a few grinds of pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves (I used a generous 1/2 teaspoon since I had extra fish.)
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper cut into rings 
  • 2 limes, sliced (original was 1/2 lemon)
Directions
  1. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.  Sprinkle cod with salt; place in skillet.  Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until browned, turning once. (Only about 1 piece of mine showed any "browning."  But they were cooking more than I wanted.
  2. Sprinkle cod with garlic/herb blend, oregano, and pepper.  Top with tomato and bell pepper.  Arrange lime slices around inside edge of skillet.  Reduce heat to medium-low;  (I think I forgot to reduce the heat - don't forget, my cod was overdone.)   Cover and cook 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork and vegetables are tender.  If skillet  becomes dry, add 1-2 Tablespoons of water.  (I didn't need to do this, the limes provided plenty of moisture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails