Monday, November 22, 2010

Strawberry and vanilla breakfast cookies

Here is the third recipe I tried this weekend from The Sneaky Chef to the rescue book.  I decided to try these because they seemed like a nice quick and easy - make ahead breakfast.  Since both myself and DH were assigned to speak at church this past Sunday I figured Sunday morning would be a bit crazy -usually is anyway with 4 boys, but I decided to make these Saturday evening.
They weren't bad if you think of them as a breakfast and not so much as a cookie.  Definitely don't have the sweetness of a cookie, but I liked them.  The kids didn't mind them either and each ate 3-4 for breakfast with a yogurt.  Except of course the 2 year old who didn't even want to try them.  I think he had a bite of one at lunch time, but that is is.
Final verdict - not bad for a different, healthy breakfast not loaded with sugar.  Definitely good for an on-the-go breakfast and a quick and easy morning.
I actually followed the ingredients right from the book.  I've rewritten the directions though.

Ingredients

  • 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup flour blend (basically equal parts AP flour, wheat flour, and wheat germ.  I mixed 1/2 cup each and had a bit left over.  You could easily just use 1/3 cup of each for this recipe - or just use all whole wheat.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups rolled oats (I rolled from groats - worked well)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 cup Strawberry Puree (just pureed strawberries - I thawed some frozen I had and pureed them in the food processor -Use 2-2 1/2 cups frozen to make a cup of puree - I used a generous 2 1/2 cups, and have 1/4 cup puree left over which I froze for future use.)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup strawberry jam 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  (flour blend, baking soda, salt, oats.)
  3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, strawberry puree, sugar, and melted butter.
  4. Stir the dry into the wet.  Drop by Tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheet, leaving about an inch between cookies.  Scoop up 1/2 teaspoon jam in a measuring spoon.  Make a small indent with the back of the spoon in a cookie and fill with the jam on the spoon.  Repeat for each cookie.
  5. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until "golden brown."  (?? to the golden brown - these cookies are pretty dark, not sure how you were supposed to see golden brown.  I cooked mine 25 then added 2 minutes. and took them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails