Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chili grilled halibut with black bean salsa

I'm betting behind yet again, so I'm typing this up with not much intro.  This is the first time I've tried halibut, and it was pretty much like other white fish.  I thought it was smellier than a lot of white fish, and I was sad that even in the cheater frozen packs I had to skin it which added to my cooking time.  But it was OK tasting for a fish.
I liked the recipe.  It came from an old Pillsbury magazine from sept. 2000, but I changed the spices I put on the fish to make it a bit less spicy.  It was great the way I made it.  (at least I liked it. My anti-spicy/fish son didn't like it, but that's ok.)  I particularly liked the black bean salsa that went with it.  I liked the little sweetness the brown sugar added. (for some reason this is the only sad picture I have.)

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder (worried about the added smoky flavor of this substitution but I liked it.)
  • 4 (6 oz.) halibut steaks (3/4 to 1 inch thick (I used fillets)
  • 1 Tablespoon lime juice
Salsa Ingredients
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained (wasn't a fan of the safeway brand I opened - majority of the beans were split.)
  • 2/3 cup salsa
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, and chipotle powder.  Mix well.  Place halibut on a large plate.  Brush both sides with lime juice;  sprinkle both sides with chili powder mixture.  Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat grill. (I was lazy and made mine in the oven on broil)  In medium bowl, combine all salsa ingredients; mix well.  Set aside.
  3. Oil grill rack and grill over medium heat or 4-6 inches from medium coals (or broil 4-6 inches from heat.)  for 10-14 minutes turning once or until fish flakes easily with fork.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails