Sunday, November 21, 2010

30 minute rolls

I have used this recipe in other recipes before, but never just made the rolls, or at least never posted it, and for some reason it was hard to find on real mom kitchen today, and I couldn't remember if it was exactly the same as the 45 minute cinnamon rolls or not.  So, I'm posting it here because I had some issues with it today as rolls and I need to write my notes.
I'll write out the recipe, then my notes.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/8 cup warm water
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2 Tablespoons yeast
  • 1/4 cup agave (can use sugar or honey, I just like agave in my bread)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 cups flour (today I used about 1/2 wheat, 1/2 white - had a bit of wheat germ thrown in the mix too.)
Directions
  1. Mix first 4 ingredients and let rest for 15 minutes.  Add salt, eggs and flour.  Mix until smooth.  
  2. Shape into rolls.  Let rise 10 minutes.  Bake 10 minutes at 400, until golden brown.
Notes:
These are Very sticky.  I had a lot of trouble trying to shape them, and I wasn't very good at making them the right size to make 12.....I was trying to shape with oiled hands - they were sticking in the pan.....  I ended up scrapping everything I did and, rolling everything in a ball, tossing it on a flour covered counter - rolling it around and cutting it into 12 pieces with my pastry scraper.  That worked well.
I also tried to bake these in a 9X9 pan today.  I wanted the shape of rolls cooked together for my sliders because it seemed like that was a traditional shape.  That did not work well with this recipe - they took forever to cook.  I finally took them out when they didn't seem jiggly, but they were still doughy.  Tasted great in the end, but massive troubles.  I wouldn't recommend cooking them in a 9 X 9 again unless you plan to double the cooking time, and possibly cover the tops so they don't burn.  If you want rolls that really are 30 minute rolls, shape them and cook them either separated on a cookie sheet or in muffin tins.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails