Monday, November 22, 2010

Quesadilla pie

This is another recipe form an old Pillsbury magazine.  This one from 2007.  I actually wrote notes in this on.  I had kids loved it, I doubled the beans and tomato - good for me.  Had I always done that maybe I wouldn't need a blog.  LOL No, I'd still need an easy way to find things.  So this was still good this time around.  I left out the cilantro - not a huge fan.  It would have been fine, but not worth washing and chopping today.  It was so funny.  I told Tavio (11 year old) that I had the note in there that they liked it and he said - hey I don't remember having this ever before, but then we don't have anything very often.  (He is not a huge fan of our varied eating schedule.)  Anyway, here is how I made it.
Above - whole pie, below, 1 piece.


Ingredients

  • 1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chiles (I used mild)
  • 2 cans (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained (was going to try 1 can pintos and 1 can black today but I had no pintos in my pantry)
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions (2 for me)
  • 2 medium roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce (Mine was 15 oz, and I didn't use it all.)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (original was pepper jack -If you like spicy, try it that way.)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 4 -8 inch tortillas (Use pretty big ones - I actually use 8 6 inch)
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400.  Spray a large glass pie plate with cooking spray.  (This larger amount would not fit in my normal size glass plate, but I have one that is a bit bigger and deeper and it works perfectly.)
  2. In a medium bowl, mix chiles, beans, onions, tomatoes, 2/3-1  cup of the enchilada sauce, Monterrey Jack cheese, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese;  set aside.
  3. Spoon 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into pie plate.  Top with 1 tortilla (I use 2 of the 6 inchers and leave 1 whole and cut the other in half and put it kind of like Mickey Mouse ears to the side to cover the plate.)  Cover tortilla with 1/3 of the bean mixture.  Repeat twice more to make 3 layers.  Top with remaining tortilla.  Cover loosely with foil.  
  4. Bake 30 minutes.  Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.  Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.  Serve with salsa and cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails